NEWS | Jan. 1, 2020

Utah Military Stores, Recreation Facilities Now Open to Veterans

By Utah’s Department of Veterans and Military Affairs State Public Affairs Office

The Department of Defense (DOD) recently announced expanded commissary, exchange and morale, welfare and recreation retail eligibility beginning on Jan. 1, 2020.

Who is eligible?
Expanded access is now available to military installations across the state of Utah for the following patrons:

  • Purple Heart recipients
  • Former prisoners of war
  • Veterans with 0-100% service-connected disability ratings
  • Medal of Honor recipients
  • Individuals approved and designated as the primary family caregivers of eligible veterans under the Department of Veterans Affairs Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers

Veterans include former members of any of the uniformed services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, U.S. Public Health Service, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), including former Reserves and National Guard who are a Purple Heart recipient, former POW or are service-connected.

For veterans with questions about filing a claim or in need of claims assistance, please contact the Utah Department of Veterans & Military Affairs (UDVMA) offers no-cost claims assistance. To schedule an appointment, please call (801) 326-2372 or email

Under this new program, eligible individuals may now access military facilities such as:

  • Commissaries
  • Military service exchanges
  • Golf courses
  • Bowling centers
  • Recreational lodging
  • RV campgrounds
  • Movie theaters
  • Other select recreational facilities and activities


Required Credentials
Beginning Jan. 1, 2020, Veterans must possess a Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC) that states their eligible status—such as Purple Heart recipient, former POW or service-connected—below the photo on the front of the card.

Visit for information regarding eligibility for the VHIC and the application process.

If an eligible Veteran is not eligible to obtain a VHIC, the VA Health Eligibility Center Form H623A indicating placement in VA health care priority group 8E, paired with an acceptable credential, like a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or U.S. passport, will be accepted. Please note that all IDs must list the same name.

Caregivers must possess an eligibility letter from the VA Office of Community Care that lists them as the Primary Family Caregiver for an eligible Veteran under the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers, paired with an acceptable credential like a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or a U.S. passport.

Additional Information and Frequently Asked Questions

For Frequently Asked Questions or more detailed information, please refer to the Military One Source Expanded Access at Commissaries, Exchanges and Recreation Facilities – Fact Sheet here.

For more information on expanded access, call Military One Source at 1-800-342-9647.


Additional Resources



Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR)