Utah Army National Guard

Education Services Office

Our office is located in the G1 section of the Utah National Guard Headquarters Building in Draper. Soldiers and their families are welcome to contact us directly for questions related to education counseling, tuition assistance, GI Bill and Army testing.  

Open Monday - Thursday from 0700-1630.

Reminder: STW applications now being accepted through 30 April.  STW applications are REQUIRED if attending a State school full-time (12-18 CH) before using any other benefit.  


Closed all federal holidays

(801) 432-4400 Option 6



Not sure what benefit to apply for? Check out this flow chart and contact our office!

follow us on Facebook and Instagram @utarngeducation


Note: The Incentives section is now separate from Education. For incentives questions (including bonus and student loan repayment program) please email: ng.ut.utarng.mbx.g1-incentives@army.mil

Effective 1 July new benefit for State Schools - This benefit can cover up to 100% tuition and fees (when combined with State Tuition Waiver and/or Federal Tuition Assistance
  • How to determine FTA, STA, or STW

    I am not sure which benefit I should apply for. 

    1. Determine if you are going to school full-time (12+ credit hours) or part-time. 

    a. If full-time will you be attending one of the following schools? 




  • Effective 4 May, 2021: FTA and Montgomery GI Bill- Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) may be used at the same time if you are going to school at least half-time!


Federal Tuition Assistance:

ALL Servicemembers with a CAC can now use FTA. 

ArmyIgnitED is improving! The new website for Federal Tuition Assistance is https://www.armyignited.army.mil. You will need to create an Education Goal. Follow the prompts after selecting Create a new education goal. Once your goal is approved you can request tuition assistance.  Make sure you are in communication with your school POCs and they know that you are a member of the ARNG and plan to use FTA. 

Please contact our office with questions!


Credentialing Assistance:

ALL Servicemembers with a CAC can now use FTA.
CA requests for FY23 is now functional!  Please visit ArmyIgnitED  and submit a request. Requests must be submitted at least 45 business days before the start of your training or exam date. Visit Army COOL to explore eligible credentials.

State Tuition Waiver:

STW applications for the Fall 2024-Spring 2025 academic year are now being accepted! Deadline is 30 April 2024.

If you are a full-time student working on your first undergraduate (associate or bachelor's degree) at a Utah public college/university with a GPA of 2.0 or higher- apply now! Download the application from this page and also include a short essay and your transcripts. Email us the application at ng.ut.utarng.mbx.education-office@army.mil

Participating schools are:  Utah Technical University, Salt Lake Community College, Snow College, Southern Utah University, University of Utah, Utah State University, Utah Valley University, Weber State University.


Post 9/11 GI Bill:

Qualifying periods of active duty service for Post 9/11 eligibility include the following periods under Title 32 USC, Section 502(f): 
  • Southwest Border (Operation Guardian Shield): Feb 15, 2019 – Jan 20, 2021 
  • COVID-19 Pandemic Response:  March 22, 2020 – April 1, 2022
  • Presidential Inauguration & Capital Support: January 11 - May 23, 2021



Tuition Assistance and Credentialing Assistance Programs

 Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA):  

Provides financial assistance toward tuition for first associate, bachelor's, master's degree and/or academic certificate. FTA can pay up to a max of $250 per semester hour toward tuition only and up to 16 semester hours each fiscal year (or $165 per quarter hour and 24 quarter hours per fiscal year). 

  • Servicemembers with a CAC card must exhaust FTA prior to utilizing STA.
  • Can be used for colleges/universities in-state or out-of-state, online or in-person, and for part-time or full-time enrollment!
  • FTA is requested and processed through ArmyIgnitED. To create your account, go to https://www.armyignited.army.mil and use your CAC card to create your account. 
  • Once your account is created, click on "Education Goal" to select your school and degree program. You must register for classes directly with your school, but once your education goal is approved, return to the "My Education goal" page and click "Request Tuition Assistance" to request funding for your classes. 
  • FTA may be requested up to 60 days prior to the start of your class and should be submitted at least 8 business days before your start date. FTA must be approved prior to the start date of class.
  • If you have any questions or are unsure of how to complete anything in ArmyIgnitED, please contact our Education Services Specialist!


  • Applies to ALL State Schools (vist https://ushe.edu/ for a list of all schools)
  • Available for use for first associate, bachelor's, masters, doctorate, aviation degree and/or a professional certificate.
  • Can only be used for lateral or lower if no other State Tuition Assistance used prior.
  • Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 or higher for undergraduate and below or 3.0 for graduate and above
  • Can be used for part-time and full-time.
  • MUST use in conjunction with FTA if eligible.
  • Must be a satisfactory participant as per AR135-91, be actively drilling, not currently flagged, and your service obligation to the Utah National Guard must be equal to or greater than two years past the course end date for undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, or aviation programs. 
  • May NOT use if receiving the state reenlistment bonus.
  • Regular STA is still available for other accredited schools.
  • Documents required
  • Email all documents to our group email: ng.ut.utarng.mbx.education-office@army.mil
  • Can apply 90-15 days prior to the course start date. 
 State Tuition Assistance (STA):

Provides additional financial assistance toward tuition after a Soldier has reached their annual FTA limit or for Soldiers or Airmen who are actively serving and in good standing but otherwise ineligible to use FTA.

  • Can be used for colleges/universities in-state or out-of-state, online or in-person, and for just one class at a time or full-time enrollment!
  • STA covers up to $250 per semester hour and up to $6,000 per fiscal year (combined if also using FTA).
  • Service Members pursuing a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) or Cyber degree program are allowed up to $7,000 per fiscal year (combined if also using FTA) that can be applied both to tuition and fees starting in FY20. Service Member must include STEM-C Verification Letter signed by an advisor/official at the school indicating that their degree program qualifies as STEM or Cyber to receive additional funding. 
  • STA packets MUST be submitted at least 15 days prior to the class start and must include: completed application, signed Statement of Understanding (SOU), and course/cost verification.
  • Please see our checklist to ensure you have included all required components of your application.
  • STA approval is subject to availability of funds.
  • Submit completed STA packets to: ng.ut.utarng.mbx.education-office@army.mil

Update Current STA Application


IMPORTANT NOTE: Tuition Assistance covers a maximum of $250 per semester hour.  FTA and STA CANNOT be stacked to cover the same credits to increase your funding toward tuition. 


 State Tuition Waiver (STW)
  • Waives full-time tuition (12-18 credit hours) for the academic year (Fall and Spring semesters) at Utah public colleges/universities.
  • Members of the Utah National Guard (Army or Air) working on their first associate or bachelor's degree may apply.
  • STW packets must include: completed application, high school transcript or previous college transcript(s), short essay. Cadets must also include a signed memo from their Professor of Military Science (PMS) or Assistant PMS verifying that the Cadet is not receiving a scholarship for tuition.
  • Application period runs annually from 1 January-30 April.
  • STW packets must be submitted via email: ng.ut.utarng.mbx.education-office@army.mil during open application period. 


 Credentialing Assistance (CA)  
  • CA will provide Soldiers up to $4,000 each year to pay for an eligible credential.
  • Soldiers may use both Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) and Army Credentialing Assistance (CA); however, the combined usage shall not exceed $4,000 per FY.
  • CA can be used for any credential listed on https://www.cool.osd.mil/army/index.htm  but does not have to be related to the Soldier’s MOS.
  • CA will pay expenses for classroom, hands-on, online/blended training and associated materials to include: manuals, study guides, textbooks, processing fees, test fees, related fees for continuing education requirements, and recertification of credentials.

Application Process:

Soldier Responsibilities

  • Verify that your credential is listed on Army COOL
  • Contact the ESS in our Education Office to discuss the CA application process and verify eligibility
  • Make sure you have an active ArmyIgnitED account
  • Add a Credential to your ArmyIgnitED account
  • Request Credentialing Assistance
  • Submit at least 45 business days prior to your training/exam start!
  • Once approved, the Army will pay your vendor directly.

UTARNG ESS Responsibilities

  • Provide counseling on available credentials, current approved vendors, and assist in ArmyIgnitED account creation and CA request process as needed.

ACCESS, ArmyU Responsibilities

  • Vet all vendors/training providers.
  • Notify Soldier if approved/disapproved.
  • Provide payment directly to vendor.